Clicked a link to a new (to me) blog early this morning because she practices photography every day, since 2005 or something like that. I was intrigued--could I do it? Would my photographs improve if I were to take up a challenge like that?

And then it took over an hour to read her October posts. She writes, art journals, photographs, records what she's grateful for, exercises daily, follows through on (daily, monthly, and yearly) projects, cares for her two children under 6, and works for a large corporation. Etc., etc. It's not all perfect--she writes about that too--but right now I'm having the devil of a time not setting our two lives on a scale and feeling mine disintegrate into a poof of worthlessness.

But maybe, just maybe, the very act of identifying the motivation-sapping nature of comparison and naming it out loud might salvage the spark that her "take a photograph everyday to become a better photographer" project inspired in me. And maybe someday I'll be able to return to her blog, read her words, and see the evidence of all her projects without losing sight of the value in my own, very different creative life.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

No comments: